Education was an important part of Henrico’s reconstruction after the Civil War. Notable in this effort was Virginia Estelle Randolph, a pioneer educator and humanitarian who lived from 1874 to 1958. She opened the old Mountain Road School in 1892 and was named the first Jeanes Supervisor Industrial Teacher in Henrico County Schools in 1908. She conducted the first Arbor Day program in Virginia. The Virginia Randolph Home Economics Cottage was dedicated as a museum in memory of Ms. Randolph and is a National and State Historic Landmark. Use this link for more information about Virginia Randolph, the Virginia Randolph Education Complex and the Museum in her memory.

Painting courtesy Henrico Public Schools.

Elizabeth Holladay Elizabeth Holladay Elementary School is named for Miss Elizabeth Jane Holladay, a pioneer teacher who started the first public school in the Glen Allen area of Henrico at her home in 1886. In 1899 the original one-room Glen Allen School was built. ” Miss Lizzie” continued to teach until 1901 and tutored for much of the remainder of her life. Click this link to learn more about her and visit the Henrico elementary school named in her honor.

Painting by Mrs. Ann Blanton Pritchett courtesy Holladay family and Henrico Public Schools.