- Always put infants on their backs (face up) when they are resting, napping or sleeping.
- Place infants on their tummies only when they are awake and supervised.
- Dress your baby in a sleeper or pajamas appropriate for the room’s temperature instead of covering them with a blanket.
- Keep the infant’s room cool. Remember, your baby can not remove clothes if he gets too warm.
- Make sure the mattress fits snugly into the crib’s frame. If you do not have a crib, place your infant on a firm sleep surface such as a bassinet or cradle and never on a sofa, pillow, adult bed, waterbed or air mattress.
- Never let your infant sleep or nap with pillows, stuffed toys, bumper pads, comforters, quilts or other people.
VCU Medical Center Patient Information
VCU Medical Center Women’s Health Services
Children’s Health Involving Parents (CHIP of Richmond)
March of Dimes
March of Dimes (Spanish)
American Baby Magazine
Consumer Product Safety Commission Crib Safety Guides