The Division of Recreation and Parks exists to enhance the quality of life and to foster a sense of well being and community for the citizens of Henrico County. This is accomplished through management of resources and by facilitating leisure services and recreational opportunities in safe and well maintained environments.
The Division of Recreation & Parks began during the Depression. In 1934, organized summer recreation programs were offered at three schools. From 1940 until 1945, summer recreation (June to September) was supervised and administered under the direction of the Henrico County Welfare Board. In 1945, under the County Manager form of government, the responsibilities of public recreation in the County were delegated to the Superintendent of the Department of Education.
In 1950, Recreation & Parks was transferred to the General Government area and placed under the part time leadership of Mr. Ellett R. McGeorge, Jr. In 1956, Mr. McGeorge was appointed as Director. He held this position until his retirement in 1988. Recreation was recognized as a full time operation in 1969 when the County of Henrico Board of Supervisors voted to create the Division of Recreation and Parks. Three bond referendums, $7.5 million in 1977, $7.1 million in 1989, and $16 million in 2000 have enabled the Division to build a sound foundation through the construction of numerous parks and facilities.
Perceiving the need for more citizen involvement, the County of Henrico Board of Supervisors established the Parks and Recreation Advisory Commission in 1976 and the Historic Preservation Advisory Committee in 1990.
Division Quick Facts
The Division has compiled a list of facts including history, budget, facilities, and parks. Click here to view a PDF copy!
The Division was honored to receive three department awards and two individual awards at the 2012 VRPS Annual Conference (Virginia Recreation & Park Society).
- Fellow’s Award – Cindy Jo Daniel
- President’s Award – Jennifer Snead
- Best New Facility – Eastern Henrico Recreation Center
New Renovation/Addition – Virginia Randolph Museum
- Best Promotional Effort-Specialty – Facility Tour Kiosk