The Division of Recreation and Parks has several picnic shelters throughout the County available for the public to reserve. To reserve a shelter, please complete the "Picnic Shelter Reservation Form" and turn it in with the appropriate fees. For additional information, please look over this webpage or call our office at 501-5094. You can also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in reserving a gazebo at one of our parks for a wedding or the horse ring at Dorey Park, please call 501-5127.
If you would like to use a sports field within a park, you need to make a reservation. Requests must be made in writing and mailed to Henrico Recreation & Parks, Attn: Sports, PO Box 90775, Henrico, VA 23273-0775 or sent by email to email@example.com. For more information, please contact our Sports section at 501-5099.
Picnic Kits are also available to rent and may include horseshoes, a softball set, wiffleball set, volleyball, basketball, football, frisbee, kickball, and soccer ball.
Items on this page:
Picnic Shelter & Picnic Kit Reservation Forms
These PDF forms can be downloaded to your computer and your responses can be typed. Once the form is complete, you will need to print it out, sign it, and submit it to the Division of Recreation and Parks.
Where to Go to Reserve a Shelter
Shelter reservations are accepted in person, by mail, or by fax.
Shelter reservations will be accepted Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the following locations:
- Recreation & Parks Administrative Offices, Human Services Bldg ~ 501-7275
8600 Dixon Powers Drive, Henrico, VA 23228 - Mapquest
- The Armour House & Gardens ~ 343-3506
4001 Clarendon Road, Henrico, VA 23223 - Mapquest
- Belmont Recreation Center ~ 262-4924
1600 Hilliard Road, Henrico, VA 23228 - Mapquest
- Confederate Hills Recreation Center ~ 737-2859
302 Lee Avenue, Henrico, VA 23075 - Mapquest
- Deep Run Recreation Center ~ 290-0305
9910 Ridgefield Parkway, Henrico, VA 23233 - Mapquest
- Dorey Recreation Center ~ 795-2334
2999 Darbytown Road, Henrico, VA 23231 - Mapquest
- Eastern Henrico Recreation Center ~ 225-2056
1440 N. Laburnum Avenue, Henrico, VA 23223 - Mapquest
Picnic Shelter Reservations: Rules & General Information
- Please help keep our picnic shelters and surrounding areas clean for you and the next group to use. Our shelters are used continuously throughout the day, often with little maintenance time between each group's use. Your assistance in keeping the area clean and ready to use by the end of your reservation time is greatly appreciated.
- Completed reservation form and fee must be received in our office a minimum of five (5) business days prior to the reservation date (see refund policy below) and no earlier than one (1) year in advance and is limited to space availability. Proof of County residency (driver’s license, DMV ID card or voter registration) must be provided to receive resident rate. Mailing address: Henrico County Division of Recreation and Parks, Attn: Shelters, PO Box 90775, Henrico, VA 23273-0775
- All requests for a date change to your reservation must be made in writing and received in our office ten (10) working days prior to the original reservation date and is limited to availability. Mail to address listed above or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Payment information - must match signature and name printed on check or card. Proof of County residency (driver’s license, DMV ID or current voter registration card) required to receive resident rate and must match payment.
- By reserving this picnic shelter, you have agreed to assume the responsibility of having all members of your group adhere to the Henrico County Ordinance, Chapter 14, Section 14-31 to 14-52 (PDF copy) and the Picnic Shelter Reservations Rules and General Information. Signature required and must match payment name.
- Please review your reservation permit, receipt, and the attached shelter information.
- Alcoholic beverages are prohibited on county property.
- Groups with reservations have priority for shelter use. While reservation signs will be posted at each shelter, please have your reservation permit and receipt with you for reservation verification. Non-reserved shelters are available to the public on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Parks close at DUSK which may affect the ending time of your reservation.
- Shelter rentals only include the use of the shelter and adjacent grills and not the surrounding areas and playgrounds. The general public is always welcome within our park areas.
- A single shelter has a maximum seating capacity of 50 people. Large groups are encouraged to reserve Dorey Park Shelters #4, 5, 6, and 7. Permission must be requested in writing and approved in advance for more than 50 people at a single shelter.
- The following may be brought to the shelter for your use - A maximum of 2 cooking grills, the use of a caterer, and a small music device that does not require amplification. Permission must be requested in writing and approved in advance for items not listed above and in certain circumstances with the proper insurance and application process.
- Signage must be tied or taped to shelter and removed completely at the end of your reservation time. Nothing may be stapled or nailed to our shelters.
- No fees can be collected within the parks without prior written permission from the Division of Recreation and Parks.
- Vehicular access is not available to most shelters.
- Picnic Kit Rentals are limited to availability.
If you encounter problems with the shelter such as trash, restrooms, plumbing, or electrical, please call 501-4555.
If another group refuses to vacate the shelter during your reserved time, please call 501-5000 (Non-emergency Police)
Park closings will be announced on the Inclement Weather Hotline: 501-5132, the Division's website: www.henricorecandparks.com, and HCTV Comcast channel 17 and Verizon channel 39.
Inclement weather related to reservation of Recreation and Parks facilities is defined as any kind of extreme weather, usually severe rain, flooding, wind or tornado warnings, snow or ice, which might create hazardous conditions for park patrons either traveling to or from or participating in scheduled park activities. Inclement weather does not include seasonal weather patterns such as extreme temperature fluctuations, poor air quality warnings or extreme humidity levels which are often experienced annually throughout central Virginia.
Shelter Refund Policy
Requests must be made in writing and received thirty (30) days prior to your reservation date. Refund requests due to inclement weather must be received in our office no later than the week following your reservation. Reservations will not be refunded due to inclement weather until the actual reservation date has passed. Send requests by mail to Henrico County Division of Recreation and Parks, Attention: Joanne Ferrall, PO Box 90775, Henrico, VA 23273-0775, by e-mail to email@example.com, or by fax to (804) 501-5284.