Summer Blast & Teen Scene
Summer Blast and Teen Scene Camps are free and open to Henrico County residents only.Participants must have completed grades K-4 or 5-8 during the 2013-2014 school year. Camp will be held Monday-Thursday, June 23-August 12 from 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
Summer Blast Camp (grades K-4): Fun activities in arts and crafts, music, sports, creative dramatics, indoor and outdoor games, history, nature, and special events.
Teen Scene Camp (grades 5-8): We want your teen to have the best summer of their lives while learning new skills, discovering hidden talents, and making new friends.
The benefits of camp extend further than just childhood development. Camp, and its experiences help defines us even into adulthood. Camp has changed many lives, introduced people to new passions, and broadened horizons.
For more information on Summer Blast or Teen Scene Camps, please call 501-5096.
- Registration Details
- Camp Dates
- Summer Blast Camps
- Teen Scene Camps
- 2014 Camp Flyer (PDF)
- 2014 Summer Blast and Teen Scene Sites (PDF)
- Camp Registration Form (PDF)
- Special Accommodations & Medication
- Additional Information
Registration begins April 12 at 8 a.m.
- HCRP Connect (Online Registration): www.connect.henricorecandparks.com
- Walk-In Registration: Belmont, Deep Run and Eastern Henrico Recreation Center
- Registration is required in advance through Henrico Recreation & Parks.
- No registration will be taken at the schools and no on-site registration at camp locations.
- Sign up for as many sessions as you like, but only one location per session, per child.
- Waiting lists will be available; however, we recommend you consider another location to guarantee that your child will be able to participate in the program if your first choice is unavailable.
- Please do not register for one location and be placed on the waiting list for a second location (for the same session). If multiple sessions are selected, you will be removed from your second entry.
- NEW! All camp participants must be signed in and out of Summer Blast/Teen Scene camp by a parent/legal guardian (or an adult designated by the parent/legal guardian in advance – see registration form).
- Camp Registration Forms are available in the Summer Camp Flyer, Recreation Centers, and Recreation and Parks Administrative Office.The form must be completed correctly, neatly, and in its entirety, or it may not be accepted.
- Questions about Summer Blast & Teen Scene registration? Call 501-7275.
Summer Blast & Teen Scene Camp Dates
Camps are held Monday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
(The two afternoon sessions are held from 12:30-5 p.m.)
|Session||Camp Dates||Registration Deadline|
|I||June 23-July 2 (No camp July 3 & 4.)||June 17|
|II||July 7-17||June 30|
|III||July 21-31||July 15|
|IV||August 4-12 (PM Session ends Aug 7)||July 29|
Summer Blast Camps
(Completed grades K-4)
Summer Blast Themes:
Session I: Destination Imagination: Treasure hunts, knights, princesses, and dragons
Session II: Adventure Quest: Nature, rocks, and beneath the sea
Session III: Ready-Set-Go Play: Games and sports
Session IV: Creative Kids: Robots, heroes, and summer friendships
Summer Blast Locations:
(Summer Blast Camps have a registration limit of 120, unless otherwise stated.)
|Baker ES||Jackson Davis ES||Sandston ES|
|Carver ES||Johnson ES||Shady Grove ES|
|Echo Lake ES||Lakeside ES||Skipwith ES*|
|Gayton ES||Maybeury ES||Three Chopt ES|
|Glen Allen ES||Montrose ES||Twin Hickory ES|
|Glen Lea ES*||Nuckols Farm ES*||Varina ES|
|Greenwood ES*||Pinchbeck ES||Ward ES|
|Hunton Comm Ctr (80)||Rivers Edge ES|
NEW for 2014!
Two afternoon Summer Blast locations:
Fair Oaks ES*
Afternoon camp hours are 12:30-5pm. (Participants must be picked up promptly at 5pm.) Students attending these two locations must eat lunch before camp and should bring an afternoon snack. Session IV will end on Aug 7 at these sites.
*Denotes sites supported with trained Inclusion Staff. Completed packets for special accommodations due to a disability must be received by May 3 for processing. For more information, call 501-5135.
Teen Scene Camps
(Completed grades 5-8)
Teen Scene Locations:
Deep Run Recreation Center* (Limit: 90)
Eastern Henrico Recreation Center (Limit: 90)
Elko M.S. (Limit: 90)
Holman M.S. (Limit: 90)
Moody M.S. (Limit: 90)
*Denotes site supported with trained Inclusion Staff. Completed packets for special accommodations due to a disability must be received by May 3 for processing. For more information, call 501-5135.
Special Accommodations Due to a Disability:
Families of children with disabilities that need extra assistance should call Jennifer Godfrey at 501-5135 to discuss special accommodations. Inclusion packets are available now and must be completed and returned by May 3 in order to qualify for inclusion services at a camp. This does not guarantee registration; you must also register for camp(s) beginning April 12.
If your child requires rescue medication(s) during camp hours (including an inhaler or epi-pen), check the box on the registration form and call Jennifer Godfrey (Therapeutic Recreation) at 501-5135. A medication form will be required and must be completed and signed by a parent/legal guardian and physician.
Tips for a Successful and Fun Experience
- Participants should come dressed for active participation.
- Sneakers are a must every day. Sandals, flip-flops, clogs and other shoes are unsafe for active play.
- The use of sunscreen is advised for outdoor activities.
- Send a non-perishable lunch and healthy mid-morning snack daily (no glass bottles or containers)
- Keep electronics and cell phones at home.
- Label all of your child’s belongings, including their lunch.
- For your child’s safety, do not drop your child off before 8:30 a.m. or leave them after 2:30 p.m. For the afternoon programs, do not drop your child off before 12:30 p.m. or leave them after 5 p.m. Failure to abide by this regulation may result in the dismissal of your child from the program.
Children are expected to exhibit appropriate behavior at all times in programs and facilities; that includes respect for all people, equipment and facilities and cooperative positive participation. We use the HCPS Student Code of Conduct as a guide. The staff will review rules with participants and may dismiss anyone whose behavior endangers safety or negatively affects a program or facility.
About our Staff
All of our staff members are at least 18 years of age. Most are college students or teachers. All staff members are certified in First Aid/CPR/AED and have been through background checks. All staff members attend a comprehensive staff orientation before camp begins. Summer Youth Staff are hired to assist as Recreation Helpers. They have completed the 9th grade and have had training and been through background checks.
Inclement Weather and Code Red Days
On code red days, campers will engage in outdoor activities during the early part of the day while taking in plenty of water and several shaded breaks.