- Every minute, somewhere in the world, eight people are forced out of their homes.
- More than 3 million refugees have found safety in the U.S. since 1975.
- According to the 1951 United Nations Refugee Convention, a Refugee is defined as someone who “owing to a well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group, or political opinion, is outside the country of his nationality, and is unable to or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to avail himself of the protection of that country…”
- Refugees are in the United States legally and may apply for adjustment of status after one year of US residency.
- Henrico County Health Department offers initial health screenings to refugees and asylees living in Henrico County.
- Henrico County Health Department also provides refugee clients with immunizations and medical referrals.
2014 State Holiday Closings
January 1 – New Year’s Day