The Engineering and Environmental Services Division (EESD) is committed to provide exemplary engineering and environmental stewardship for the citizens of Henrico County. EESD, while mindful of economic constraints, is dedicated to the continued efforts to implement environmental management programs and engineering principles that will protect the environment and enhance the quality of life for our citizens. EESD recognizes the interdependence of environmental protection and economic growth and will continue to promote environmental conservation, environmental awareness and the minimization of environmental impacts as part of its review process.
Effective July 1, 2014, Henrico County will administer a Virginia Stormwater Management Program (VSMP) as required by the Virginia Stormwater Management Act (§ 62.1-44.15:24 et seq. of the Code of Virginia. The requirements of the program, as well as the other environmental programs implemented in the County, have been described in the Henrico County Environmental Compliance Manual. This manual replaces the Henrico County Environmental Program Manual dated August 2001.
Two Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) templates for use in Henrico are also available – one for construction on single-family residential lots and another for other construction activities such as subdivisions and plans of development.
In addition to the new manual and the SWPPP templates, many administrative forms were also developed or revised as a result of the program:
- Declaration of Covenants for Inspection and Maintenance of Stormwater Management Facilities for proprietary/manufactured devices
- Declaration of Covenants for Inspection and Maintenance of Stormwater Management Facilities for facilities with safety concerns and access related concerns such as vegetated roofs, wet ponds, permeable pavement, and facilities with underground/enclosed chambers
- Declaration of Covenants for Inspection and Maintenance of Stormwater Management Facilities for other facilities
- Environmental Compliance Agreement for use of the Environmental Compliance Bond (replaces the previous Erosion and Sediment Control Agreement)
- Letter of Credit Form (replaces the previous Letter of Credit form)
- Assignment for Environmental Compliance Measures (replaces the previous Assignment for Erosion and Sediment Control Measures)
- Agreement in Lieu of a Stormwater Management Plan
- Agreement in Lieu of an Erosion and Sediment Control Plan
The County also conducted several workshops to prepare contractors, consultants, and homebuilders for implementation of the program. The information presented during these workshops is available for Contractors, Engineers and Home Builders.
Henrico County Plan of Development (POD) Cover Sheet Drawing
You must have AutoCad version 14 or higher to access this file. This file prints a 24″ x 36″ sheet.
To download and save these two files for Netscape: Right click on file and click on Save Link As….
To download and save these two files for Microsoft Explorer: right click on file and click on Save Target As….
A new Pollution Prevention Plan sheet has also been developed that must be included in plans for projects requiring coverage under the General Construction Permit.
The following checklists will be used by County staff to review for compliance with the requirements of the applicable requirements. Please note the plan review checklists have been revised to incorporate the new technical and administrative requirements of the VSMP.
In addition, review checklists have been developed for each SWM facility type described in the Henrico County Environmental Compliance Manual. The applicable checklist will be used to review each SWM facility proposed on a project.
- 01 Rooftop Disconnect Checklist Spec. No. 1 – FINAL
- 02 Sheetflow Checklist Spec. No 2 – FINAL
- 03 Grass Channel Spec No 3 – FINAL
- 04 Soil Amendments Checklist Spec. No. 4 – FINAL
- 05 Vegetated Roof Spec. No. 5 – FINAL
- 06 Rainwater Harvesting Checklist Spec. No 6 – FINAL
- 07 Permeable Pavement Checklist Spec. No. 7 – FINAL
- 08 Infiltration Checklist Spec. No. 8 FINAL.doc
- 09 Bioretention Spec. No. 9 – FINAL
- 10 Dry Swale Checklist Spec. No. 10 – FINAL
- 11 Wet Swale Checklist Spec. No. 11 – FINAL
- 12 Filtering Practice Checklist Spec. No. 12 – FINAL
- 13 Constructed Wetland Checklist Spec. No. 13 – FINAL
- 14 Wet Pond Checklist Spec. No. 14 – FINAL
- 15 Extended Detention Checklist Spec. No. 15 – FINAL
Environmental Compliance Plan
Soil erosion is the process of detachment and transportation of soil materials by water, wind, ice and gravity. Henrico County’s Environmental Compliance Plan deals with erosion resulting from (water) raindrop impact on un-stabilized soil, primarily during the development process…more
Non-Emergency Spill Reporting
Have a question or need assistance?